October 8, 2019 by TinyNavajo
Hi guys! It’s time for another Top Ten Tuesday! TTT was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
Today’s theme is about characteristics that make me fall in love with a character and make me think about them even after I’m done reading the book/series.
- Strong and feminine. I love it when an author can show a character that is not only feminine but she is strong in her femininity as well. Dotti for Lord Brocktree is an excellent example of this feature.
- Curiosity. I love it when a character is curious. It something that I love in myself and in those who I associate with and Lois from Sourdough is a very curious person. She learns how to make sourdough bread and then it proceeds to take over her life. I love it and I want to do what she did.
- Humour. Humour and being able to have fun with small silly things that I love in people and it’s part of the reason that I love my husband, he makes me laugh and we can just enjoy small silly things. Clay from Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore had some humorous moments as well as some dry-humour moments and listening to this book got me to laugh out loud (literally, while running) quite a few times.
- Bookish. I love bookish characters, or at least characters that would rather read than a lot of other things. But I also recognize that they can’t spend all of their time reading either. Elend from Mistborn is an excellent example of this, he reads all the time, but once he become emperor, he does his duty, but doesn’t forget to read.
- Spazzes. I don’t know if this is because I saw some of the Amazon Prime short series first, but I love characters that are just a tiny bit a spazz and Crowley is that spazz from Good Omens. Simply fantastic!
- Authenticity. I love it when people are unapologetically themselves. Menolly from the Harper Hall series is just that such a person, she is herself in a seahold that greatly frowns on girls making music.
- Friendly. I want to be friends with characters and my husband and I started out as friends before we became a couple. So, Mr. Bingley from Pride and Prejudice is one of my favourites and is someone I would love to be friends with!
- Protective. I love it people are protective of the ones they love and will what they can to protect the ones they love. Kyo from Fruits Basket is a perfect example of this.
- Slightly awkward. Sam from Emergency Contact is a slightly awkward bundle of nerves, but he and Penny get along despite their awkwardness and it makes him more relatable as a character.
- Artistic. I love artistic people, my husband can play the trombone and he’s looking to relearn the piano and I love it! Shallan from the Stormlight Archive is someone I would love to get to know and just have her teach me how to draw!