June 11, 2019 by TinyNavajo
Hi guys! It’s time for another Top Ten Tuesday! TTT was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
Today’s Top Ten Tuesday is all about MY unpopular bookish opinions. As you can see, I have capitalized MY because it is MY opinion. I don’t judge you, you don’t judge me, we just enjoy. Here are my unpopular bookish opinions:
- Don’t look down on YA. It’s a fantastic genre and just because the protagonists are young doesn’t mean that it’s not a good book.
- Love triangles can be done well. Yeah, I said it, come at me. It’s not my favourite troupe can it has been done so badly by so many authors, but it is done right, it is one of my favourites.
- Secondhand books are the best books. I love secondhand books and getting to know these books from their previous owners.
- Audiobooks are books. I hear this a lot at work that listening to books doesn’t count as reading. This is a lie! Listening to books is reading books! I will fight you to the death on this!
- You don’t have to buy books in order to love books. It always kinds of saddens me when I see posts from others saying they can’t really participate in booklr/bookstagram/book blogging because they can’t afford to buy all the books they want. You can, there are libraries for a reason.
- You can DNF books all you want. If a book does not interest you, you don’t have to finish it. Put it down and pick up one you do want to read.
- Sometimes, the movie is better than the book. This is rare, but there are times when the movie adaption of a book is the better version.
- “Dark” endings are overplayed. I’m not sure when this started, but when authors do fairy tale retellings, they make them “dark,” a.k.a. there’s gore, murder, and just sadness everywhere. They play it off as paying an homage to the original, but it’s not just. If you’re going to go dark, actually research the original tale and see how you can reinterpret it from there.
- You don’t have to read the classics to say you love books. Some classics are horrid, some are okay, you don’t have to read either to enjoy and love books.
- I DNF’d Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I did not like this series, I honestly love her Blackbringer series better. It’s just much more exciting and the magic is more believable as well.
These are my opinions, don’t flame me. You are also welcome to your own opinions. That’s the beauty of this community, it’s made of so many diverse people.
What are some of your unpopular bookish opinions? Comment below and let me know!